Monday, January 3, 2011

Welcome to My Blog!

Hi, and welcome to the Blood Bank Guy blog! It is now 2011, and following the lead of my friend Keith Kaplan, MD (www.tissuepathology.com), I've decided to dive deeper into the mainstream of the digital world!

I started the Blood Bank Guy website way back in 1998, initially as a way of connecting with the large numbers of people that attended the Osler pathology review course and heard me speak. At the time, what I was doing was pretty "cutting edge" (despite how silly it looks to me when I look back now!).


Over the years, I have become more interested in doing cool stuff on the site, but have been hampered by a lack of time. Recently, life has changed (I will write more about this later), and I find myself able to do more. I have started with podcasting, and have added both audio and video podcasts both to the site and through iTunes and YouTube. I've received some great feedback on the podcasts, and I believe that they are excellent ways to communicate topics to people that would rather hear or see stuff than read it. I've greatly expanded the quiz area, and am also expanding the glossary area. Both of these can serve as references for people that are studying blood banking. My future plans include animations for things like antibody identification (still figuring out whether to use HTML 5 or Flash).

This blog will include my general thoughts on things that pop up in the everyday practice of blood banking and transfusion medicine in a blood center. I am medical director for a large blood center in Denver, and things happen often that I wish I could share with you, but updating a web site is just too cumbersome. On the blog, I can quickly share events, situations, and learning points that hopefully will be of help. My mission, as always, is to teach basic transfusion medicine to as many as possible.

Thanks for checking out the blog! I hope that you will come back and visit often, and feel free to comment below! Click to return to bbguy.org.